Of course, stuttering is a unpleasant problem that occurs in the child's language development. In practice, the stuttering occurs not so often. Many children show signs of stuttering at an early age. So what is stuttering and whether you can help the child to cope with without the intervention of specialists?
Stuttering is called a discontinuity in the smooth speech. This can be seen in the extension of the sound "s-s-winter", the repetition of letters and words - "I, I, I play", the repetition of phrases - "we will play, we will play with me." In addition, stuttering can be expressed by the use of sounds-parasites - "uh-uh", "m-m-m..." etc. and lock or silence, followed by internal strife, before the beginning of the conversation.
At the same time, the stuttering is seen as the norm at an early age, as it may accompany normal speech development of the child. 20% of children under the age of three years, one way or another, there are signs of stuttering.
Fortunately, many kids well grow out of stuttering and speech therapist will not be required. However, 1% of children stutter is not. Therefore, timely consultation of the logopedist will still be not superfluous. The cause of stuttering usually lies in heredity, as a rule, in the family already has an adult with the same problem.
We offer to your attention not pathological signs of stuttering, the passing of time:
- the child is happy to contact, do not hesitate communication;
he accurately with ease repeats words and simple phrases;
- stuttering does not have a chronic nature, it appears and disappears for a long time.
Pathological stuttering intervention speech therapist:
in the process of communication you notice that the child as if struggling with himself - mows, actively waving his hands and feet, said, as tension or force, that is, there is no naturalness in conversation;
the child consciously avoid certain situations or words to avoid their pronunciation;
during the speech, the child may be interrupted breathing;
he stretches vowel sounds in words;
often he fills a pause in the sentence of the introductory words, "here...", "uh", and so on;
- avoids answers to obvious questions, responding with the phrase "I don't know!", either replace the right words in response to their synonyms lighter sound. Often stammering children experience higher levels of fear and anxiety even before a slight stutter in communication.
If you see that your child stutters, visit a speech therapist. Do not expect that the stuttering will be held independently with age. This of course can happen, but not in every case.
Provide for the child a peaceful atmosphere. In familiar surroundings, he can forget about the presence of their speech problems. Avoid to put him in the spotlight, even for a single communication with a stranger severity of stuttering may increase.
Basic rules when dealing with stammering child are as follows:
- it is important to learn not to hear, and to listen to the baby - exactly what it says, not how he does it. During the conversation it is important to look him in the eyes, showing interest in his words;
- do not often pull up the child, correcting wrong for the words - he still had time to improve their own speech. At an early age the main goal of the child - to bring their information to be heard and understood;
- do not ask the child to talk "slower", "more", "not to worry" because he still does not take this into consideration. Better show how to do it on my example - gently and slowly say, stay calm while talking, and then he will begin to imitate you.
And the main thing - do not panic yourself. Your excitement is transferred to the child, and he will become afraid to speak. As such neuroses only complicate stuttering. Good luck to you!