Urinary incontinence affects about 25 million Americans, but talking about it is not accepted. However, exhorting doctors and propaganda has done its job, women today suffer only six years before you consult with your doctor previously they were shy to talk about it at least ten years. May be it is better to dispel some myths about incontinence and people to become more bold to speak about their problems.
1. Only older people suffer from urinary incontinence. This is definitely a myth, although the risk of incontinence increases with age, it can manifest itself at any time. Studies show that 1 in 4 women over the age of 18 years is the involuntary leakage of urine.
2. Do not think that you are the only one who has faced a similar problem. From incontinence affected 200 million people worldwide just as many cases remain unregistered and unrecognized.
3. If the bladder is a little "leaks", it's not normal. If incontinence develops gradually, people tend not to think about it as a medical problem. Women blame it on the symptoms of menstruation and use spacers. If you lose control of the functions of your body, then it's time to go to the doctor.
4. Incontinence is inevitable in old age and after childbirth. This is one of the most common myths. Neither age nor pregnancy and especially not the dimensions of the unborn child can not prevent you to keep my bladder under control.
5. Some sounds provoke urine. It's true: coughing, laughing, jumping, all of which can induce urination. This is due to failures in coordination between the brain and spinal cord, so sharp sound can be interpreted as a command to discharge.
6. It should drink less. It is not true, a large amount of water in small doses throughout the day will help you to deal with incontinence. Refuse costs from citrus juices and coffee.
7. Men rarely suffer from this. Actually about 25 percent of Americans with incontinence are men. Rather, men are less likely to share this information with anyone.
8. Incontinence is not a serious disease. Yes, it is unlikely to die, but it complicates life, suppresses sexual desire, interfere with communication. Probably the skin rashes and irritation.
9. Don't drink if you don't want. Really, don't listen to doctors who advised to drink at least two liters a day, drink only when they are thirsty.