Mental illness is a disease of the brain, causing changes in behavior and personality of a person.
Manifestations of mental illness:
- productive (in addition to the usual activities of the psyche) - hallucinations, delusions, overvalued ideas;
negative - decreased mental activity, abnormal personality changes.
People with mental disabilities attracts attention with its unusual behavior; a kind of movements; the reasoning that goes beyond the norm.
The causes of mental disorders are not fully understood. Some of them are hereditary. Adverse environmental factors (stress, trauma, alcohol and drugs) can also play a fatal role. Most of the patients have an imbalance of chemical processes in the brain. As a rule, in excessive amounts produces dopamine, a substance responsible for transmitting information between cells. This causes inadequate perception of sounds, smells, images.
All psychiatric diseases are divided into:
- exogenous - mental illness, which arose under the influence of adverse environmental factors: infections, intoxications, endocrine disorders, tumors and other diseases. Based reactive psychosis - acute or prolonged stress.
- endogenous - developing in the presence of hereditary factors. The group includes schizophrenia, manic-depressive psychosis, schizoaffective psychosis.
- endogenous-organic - combining features of both groups: senile psychosis (Alzheimer's disease), epilepsy. Along with genetic predisposition there are also changes in the structure of the brain.
- edge and other diseases of the psyche: the pathology of mental development (mental retardation, mental retardation); the distorted forms of mental development (autism); personality disorder (psychopathy). To the border States include neuroses and character accentuations.
Diagnosis of mental illness is based on the analysis of medical records and interviews with patients using mental techniques. In order to avoid the influence of physical factors conduct a full examination, including x-ray and computed tomography.
Mental health treatment is prescribed by a narrow specialist, who will determine not only the content but also forms of therapy in an inpatient or outpatient basis.