Edwards syndrome is a disease of chromosomal character develops in utero and characterized by the slow development of the internal organs or the nervous system. The cause of the disease is the appearance of extra chromosomes, that is, instead of 23 chromosomes appears 24. Common disease rare 1:7000, the incidence is second only to down syndrome.
Children who suffer from Edwards syndrome, are much shorter-lived than others. Life expectancy is approximately 1-2 months, at best 3 months. Although there are cases that babies with Edwards syndrome survive to 1 year, mostly women.
Definition and diagnosis of Edwards syndrome
To determine the presence of the disease requires almost no additional methods, fairly and external factors:
1. Children are born with low birth weight, up to a maximum of 2.5 kg. However, this does not affect the duration of pregnancy. The expectant mother may feel great, and pregnancy can proceed normally.
2. Most often, there is a slow development of the child. Define this ultrasound, although the diagnosis is not always reliable. Using ultrasound can detect only gross violations.
3. Physical and psychological development is not appropriate norm is Edwards syndrome.
4. Due to illness the child have difficulty gaining weight. This is due to the slow development of the digestive system.
5. To determine the presence of disease and external features: custom and squeezed the form of the skull, deformed organs and limbs, including the genitals, unusual shape of the nose, lips, eyes, etc.
Read also: How to identify and prevent leukemia
Babies with Edwards syndrome die due to malfunction of the heart during the first year of his life, and those units, which miraculously managed to survive all their lives, suffer with the slow growth of the physical and psychological systems. To cure Edwards syndrome impossible, yet they can't find a method of treatment of chromosomal abnormalities.